The Impact of Organizational Learning Capability on Product Innovation Performance: Evidence from the Turkish Manufacturing Sector
Keywords:Organizational learning, organizational learning capability, innovation, product innovation performance, Turkish manufacturing firms
This study aims to examine the effect of organizational learning capability on product innovation performance in the manufacturing sector using empirical data. A survey was conducted with 120 firms that were on the list of Top 1000 Firms of Turkey and registered with the Istanbul Chamber of Industry, to examine the relationship between the dimensions of organizational learning capability and the dimensions of product innovation performance. The findings of the study indicate a positive relationship between organizational learning capability and product innovation performance.
Akgün, A.E., Keskin, H., Byrne, J.C. & Aren, S. (2007). Emotional and Learning Capability and Their Impact on Product Innovativeness and Firm Performance. Technovation, 27, 501–513.
Alegre, J. & Chiva, R. (2008). Assessing The Impact of Organizational Learning Capability on Product Innovation Perofrmance: An Emprical Test. Technovation, 28, 315–326.
Argyris, C. & Schön D. A.. (1996). Organizational Learning II; Theory, Method and Practice. U.S.A.: AddisonWesley Publishing Company.
Atik, H. (2005). Yenilik ve Ulusal Rekabet Gücü. Ankara: Detay Yayıncılık.
Aydemir, M. (2000). Örgütsel Öğrenme ve Toplam Kalite Yönetimi. Dokuz Eylül Üniversitesi, Sosyal Bilimler Enstitüsü Dergisi, 2 (3), 1–9.
Barr, P. S., Stimpert, J.L. & Huff, A.S. (1992). Cognitive Change, Strategic Action and Organizational Renewal. Strategic Management Journal, 13, 15–36.
Batmaz, N. ve Özcan, A. (2008). Yeniliği Etkileyen Unsurlar ve Toplumsal Refah İlişkisi. International Journal of Economic and Administrative Studies, 1 (1), 43–66.
Calantone, R.J. Çavuşgil, T. S., & Zhao, Y. (2002). Learning Orientation, Firm Innovation Capability, And Firm Performance. Industrial Marketing Management, 31, 515–524.
Cohen, W. M. & Levinthal, D.A. (1990). Absorptive Capacity: A New Perspective on Learning and Innovation. Administrative Science Quarterly, 35 (1), 128–152.
Çömlek, O., Kitapçı, H., Çelik V. ve Özşahin M. (2012). The Effects of Organizational Learning Capacity on Firm Innovative Performance. Procedia - Social and Behavioral Sciences, 41, 367-374.
Daft, R.L. & Weick, K. E. (1984). Toward a Model of Organizations as Interpretations Systems. Academy of Management Review, 9 (2), 284–295.
Damanpour, F. (1991). Organizational Innovation: A Meta-Analysıs of Effects of Determinants and Moderators. Academy of Management Journal, 34 (3), 555–590.
Dekoulou, P ve Trivellas, P. (2015). Measuring the Impact of Learning Organization on Job Satisfaction and Individual Performance in Greek Advertising Sector. Procedia - Social and Behavioral Sciences, 175, 367-375.
Durna, U. (2002). Yenilik Yönetimi. Ankara: Nobel Yayınları.
Fiol, C.M. & Lyles, A.M. (1985). Organizational Learning. The Academy of Management Review, 10 (4), 803– 813.
Garbi, E. (1998). Contingencies of Learning: Essays on the Strategic Implacations of Organizational Learning, Organizational Environments and Knowledge Sharing. (Unpublished doctoral dissertation). University of California, Los Angeles.
Garcia, R. & Calantone R. (2002). A Critical Look at Technological Innovation Typology and Innovativeness Terminology: A Litertaure Review. The Journal of Product Innovation Management, 19 (2), 110–132.
García-Morales, Víctor J., Ruiz-Moreno, Antonia and Llorens-Montes, Francisco J. (2007). Effects of Technology Absorptive Capacity and Technology Proactivity on Organizational Learning, Innovation and Performance: An Empirical Examination, Technology Analysis & Strategic Management, 19 (4), 527—558.
Goes, J. B. & Park, S.H. (1997). Interorganizational Links and Innovation: The Case of Hospital Services. Academy of Management Journal, 40 (3), 673–696.
Goh, S. (2003). Improving Organizational Learning Capability: Lessons from two case studies. The Learning Organization, 10 (4), 216–227.
Gomez, P. J., Lorente, J. C. & Cabrera, R. V. (2005). Organizational Learning Capability: A proposal of measurement. Journal of Business Research, 58, 715-725.
Güleş, H.K. ve Bülbül, H. (2004). Toplam Kalite Yönetiminin İşletmelerde Yenilik Çalışmalarına Katkıları. G.Ü. İ.İ.B.F. Dergisi, 1, 115–129.
Hambrick, D. C. (1982). Environmental Scanning and Organizational Strategy. Strategic Management Journal, 3 (2), 159–174.
Hsu, Y.H. & Fang, W. (2008). Intellectual Capital and New Product Development Performance: The Mediating Role of Organizational Learning Capability. Technological Forecasting and Social Change, http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.techfore.200 8.03.012, 1–14.
Huber, G.P. (1991). Organizational Learning: The Contributing Process and the Literature. Organization Science, 2 (1), 88–115.
Hult, G.T.M., Hurley, R.F. & Knight, G.A. (2004). Innovativeness: Its Antecedents and Impact on Business Performance. Industrial Marketing Management, 33, 429–438.
Kirchhoff, A.B. (1994). Entrepreneurship Economics. W.D. Bygrave (Eds.) The Portable MBA in Entrepreneurship (410–436). New York:Wiley&Sons Inc.
Koç, T ve Ceylan, C. (2007). Factors impacting the innovative capacity in large-scale companies. Technovation, 27, 105-114.
Koffman, F. & Senge, P.(1993). The Heart of Learning Organizations. Organizational Dynamics, Autumn, 4–23.
Lynn, G.S., Skov, R.B.& Abel, K.D. (1999). Practices That Support Team Learning and Their Impact on Speed to Market and New Product Success. Journal of Product Innovation Management, 16: 439–454.
Lynn, G.S., Reilly, R.R. & Akgün, A.E. (2000). Knowledge Management in New Product Teams: Practices and Outcomes. IEEE Transactıons on Engineering Management, 47 (2), 221–231.
March, J.G. (1991). Exploration and Exploitation in Organizational Learning. Organization Science, 2 (1), 71–87.
McGill, M.E. & Slocum, J.W. (1993). Unlearning the Organization. Organizational Dynamics, Autumn, 67–79.
Nederhof, P.C.W., Bacitti, B.J., Gomes, J. & Pearson A. (2002). Tools for The Improvement of Organizational Process in Innovation. Journal of Workplace Learning, 14 (7/8), 320–331.
Nonaka, S. & Takeuchi, N. (1995). The Knowledge Creating Company. New York: Oxford University Press.
Oskarsson, G. (2003). The Ancedents and Process of Innovation. The IV Conference in Social Sciences, University of Iceland, February 21–22, 1–14.
Özen, Ü. ve Bingöl, M. (2007). İşletmelerde Bilişim Teknolojileri ve Yenilikçilik: Erzurum, Erzincan ve Bayburt’taki KOBİ’lerde Bir Araştırma. Atatürk Üniversitesi Sosyal Bilimler Enstitüsü Dergisi, 10 (2), 399–417.
Phromket, C. & Ussahawanitchakit, P. (2009). Effects of Organizational Learning Effectiveness on Innovation Outcomes and Export Performance of Garments Business in Thailand. International Journal of Business Research, 9 (7), 6–31.
Pınar, İ. ve Arıkan, C. (2015). Örgütsel Öğrenme Yeteneği ile Örgütsel Yenilik Arasındaki İlişki: Tekstil Sektöründe Bir Araştırma. Istanbul University Journal of the School of Business, 44 (2), 65-76.
Prahalad, C. K. & Hamel, G. (1994). Strategy as a Field of Study: Why Search For a New Paradigm?. Strategic Management Journal, 15, 5–16.
Prieto, I.M. & Revilla, E. (2006). Assessing the Impact of Learning Capability on Business Performance: Empirical Evidence from Spain. Management Learning, 37 (4), 499–522.
Santos- Vijande, M.L. & Alvarez-Gonzalez, L.I. (2007). Innovativeness and Organizational Innovation in Total Quality Oriented Firms: The Moderating Role of Market Turbulence. Technovation, 27, 514–532.
Senge, P. M. (2007). Beşinci Disiplin; Öğrenen Organizasyon Düşünüşü ve Uygulaması. İstanbul: Yapı Kredi Yayınları.
Simon, H. A. (2000). Observations on the Sciences of Science Learning. Journal of Applied Developmental Pshycology, 21(1), 115–121.
Singh, K. (2006). Assessing Organizational Learning in Indian Business Organizations: An Integrated Approach to Learning Organizations. Second Interantional Conference on Business, Management and Economics, 15–18 June, İzmir, 3, 33–48.
Sinkula, J.M., Baker W.E. & Noordewier T.A. (1997). Framework for Market-Based Organizational Learning: Linking Values, Knowledge, and Behavior. Journal of Academy Marketing Science, 25 (4), 305–318.
Spicer, D.P. & Smith, E.S. (2006). Organizational Learning in Small Manufacturing Firms. International Small Business Journal, 24 (2), 133– 158.
Ussahawanitchakit, P. (2008). Organizational Learning Capability, Organizational Commitment, and Organizational Effectiveness: An Empirical Study of Thai Accounting Firms. International Journal of Business Strategy, 8 (3), 1–12.
Van de Ven, A.H. & Polley, D. (1992). Learning While Innovating. Organization Science, 3 (1), 92–116.
Vargas, M.I.R. (2015). Determinant Factors for Small Business to Achieve Innovation, High Performance and Competitiveness: Organizational Learning and Leadership Style. Procedia - Social and Behavioral Sciences, 169, 43-52.
Walsh, J. P. & Ungson, G.R. (1991). Organizational Memory. The Academy of Management Review, 16 (1), 57–91.
Weick, K. E. (1991). The Nontraditional Quality of Organizational Learning. Organization Science, 2 (1), 116–124.
Yeung, A.K., Ulrich, D.O., Nason, S.W. & Glinow, M.A. V. (1999). Organizational Learning Capability. New York: Oxford University Press.
Authors who publish with this journal agree to the following terms:
- The Author retains copyright in the Work, where the term “Work” shall include all digital objects that may result in subsequent electronic publication or distribution.
- Upon acceptance of the Work, the author shall grant to the Publisher the right of first publication of the Work.
- The Author shall grant to the Publisher and its agents the nonexclusive perpetual right and license to publish, archive, and make accessible the Work in whole or in part in all forms of media now or hereafter known under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License or its equivalent, which, for the avoidance of doubt, allows others to copy, distribute, and transmit the Work under the following conditions:
- Attribution—other users must attribute the Work in the manner specified by the author as indicated on the journal Web site;
- The Author is able to enter into separate, additional contractual arrangements for the nonexclusive distribution of the journal's published version of the Work (e.g., post it to an institutional repository or publish it in a book), as long as there is provided in the document an acknowledgement of its initial publication in this journal.
- Authors are permitted and encouraged to post online a prepublication manuscript (but not the Publisher’s final formatted PDF version of the Work) in institutional repositories or on their Websites prior to and during the submission process, as it can lead to productive exchanges, as well as earlier and greater citation of published work. Any such posting made before acceptance and publication of the Work shall be updated upon publication to include a reference to the Publisher-assigned DOI (Digital Object Identifier) and a link to the online abstract for the final published Work in the Journal.
- Upon Publisher’s request, the Author agrees to furnish promptly to Publisher, at the Author’s own expense, written evidence of the permissions, licenses, and consents for use of third-party material included within the Work, except as determined by Publisher to be covered by the principles of Fair Use.
- The Author represents and warrants that:
- the Work is the Author’s original work;
- the Author has not transferred, and will not transfer, exclusive rights in the Work to any third party;
- the Work is not pending review or under consideration by another publisher;
- the Work has not previously been published;
- the Work contains no misrepresentation or infringement of the Work or property of other authors or third parties; and
- the Work contains no libel, invasion of privacy, or other unlawful matter.
- The Author agrees to indemnify and hold Publisher harmless from Author’s breach of the representations and warranties contained in Paragraph 6 above, as well as any claim or proceeding relating to Publisher’s use and publication of any content contained in the Work, including third-party content.
Revised 7/16/2018. Revision Description: Removed outdated link.